Welcome to my work in progress. A little rough around the edges, but hopefully will educate as well as provide some relief for those also going through the craziness of daily life with Autism. Hope you enjoy it :o)

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

be yourself.

This is so hard to teach kids. With the world trying to be like sports figures, singers, actors/actresses, etc...It's difficult to explain to them how you DON'T need to wear something just because someone wants you to.

I grew up with a "friend" that teased me relentlessly for what I wore, what I looked like, who I hung out with, and things I liked. When we went on walks together, or went places with her family, she would make me wear her clothes and put make up on me, so I would look better. Why did I continue to be her friend? Because she was "popular". I figured that if I hung around her, people would like me.


Remind you of a certain movie?


It took me a LONG time to figure out that who I was, was okay. More than okay, even. I finally realized that the reason she picked on me, was because everybody else picked on HER. I never knew that. The funny thing is that I never picked on her. Ever.

I stress to my kids that they just need to be themselves. No matter what anyone else says. I know it's difficult though. Even when you're a grownup.

This is why I don't have issues with what my kids wear.

To bed.

(sister's pajamas)


Or to the store.

(Shield, chest protector, sword, and pink headband.)


Or to the mall.



One thing I'm trying to teach my kids, (all of them, not just the boys) is to not care what others think. Everyone is different. Not everyone will like you. Not everyone will be nice. Whether it's about your hair, your clothes, the music you like, or who you hang out with. But I want them to know that they need to be themselves.

I'm 36 yrs old. I'm starting over. I'm divorced. I just got a job at McDonalds. I don't have a car.
Or a home to live in that's my own. But dammit, I'm ME.

I love baseball.
I have my tongue and belly button pierced.
I have a tattoo.
And intend to get more.
I don't wear make up.
Or dresses.
I'm not shoe obsessed.
Nor do I think Channing Tatum is hot.

I'm funny.
Outgoing.
Caring.
I play softball.
I like animals.
And kids.
I eat.
I watch ESPN.
And Lifetime.
I love ice skating.
And Skee Ball.
And pizza.

Okay, enough about how awesome I am. Let's all teach our kids that no matter what someone looks like, the only thing that matters is who they are. And let's teach them tolerance and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment