Welcome to my work in progress. A little rough around the edges, but hopefully will educate as well as provide some relief for those also going through the craziness of daily life with Autism. Hope you enjoy it :o)

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

3rd time's the charm?

Once again, we are switching meds for Jacob. Clearly Ritalin isn't for him, as it's turned him into an emotional, aggressive, psychotic mess. So frustrating, and I feel so bad for him, because he cries and cries and can't stop. He knows too. "I....can't...calm...dooooowwwnn!!" Poor boy.

We started him out on 10 mg of Adderall a couple of months ago. It lasted 3 days. I couldn't crush it for him (he can't swallow pills) and when I opened the capsules to mix it in pudding, he gagged on it and threw up.


We switched him to 10 mg of Ritalin twice a day. It worked for awhile, then slowly we started seeing the same behaviors come back.


So, last week we upped him to 20 mg twice a day. That's when he stopped sleeping. Stopped wanting my kisses, and started kicking and throwing EVERYTHING in sight. Even with melatonin, he wasn't going to sleep until midnight, and still getting up at 6:30-7am. Gah! I'm exhausted.


Finally after numerous phone calls to the dr, nurse, teacher, and school nurse, we're starting him on Tenex tonight. I give him 1 mg at bedtime for 3 days, then 1mg in the am AND at pm. That's weird to me, but the nurse said that this med is more for Autism, while Ritalin and Adderall are more for ADHD. (which he does have as well.) However, if we would have started with the Tenex, this may have been resolved months ago.


I really hope this works. I want my sweet boy back.


And I really need some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment