Welcome to my work in progress. A little rough around the edges, but hopefully will educate as well as provide some relief for those also going through the craziness of daily life with Autism. Hope you enjoy it :o)

Sunday, January 8, 2012

I get that a lot.

"Wow! You certainly have your hands full!"
I don't hear this nearly as much as I used to, when they were all under 5, but every once in awhile, someone makes a comment. Usually after they hear that Jack Jack has Autism, and Dash has Aspergers.
----
I get that a lot.
----
"How do you do it?? I can't even imagine."
I couldn't either, until it became my life. How do I do it? I just do. You get used to fighting little feet into shoes in the morning. Practically force feeding him his pudding because it's got his Ritalin in it. Wrestling a coat on. Pulling toys back out of the backpack because they're not allowed at school. Holding his hand everywhere we go because he's a runner. Pulling him off of shelves everywhere because he's part monkey. I have no idea how I do it, I just do.
----
I get that a lot.
----
"Did you know that Jack Jack looks just like your brother?"
Yes. Thank you. He pretty much has since he was born. It's the brown eyes. The other two have blue. If I had a dollar.......
----
I get that a lot.
----
"You know, maybe if you used some discipline, he wouldn't have tantrums all the time."
Oh THANK YOU lady in the mall who probably hasn't even heard of Autism. You're a BIG help. Maybe she *was trying to be helpful, I don't know. What I do know is, I almost told Jack Jack to walk around with her the rest of the day to watch her try and 'discipline' him.
----
I get that a lot.
----
“You really need to work on getting him to eat new foods. His diet isn’t very healthy.”
Sigh. Yes. I know. Try forcing a square peg into a round hole. That's how fun it is getting him to try now foods. But only if the peg is screaming and gagging at the same time.
----
I get that a lot.
----
I'm sure there's more. LOTS more. But those are the ones I can think of right now. It's really not so bad. When I tell people about his Autism, most of the time they're willing to listen. Some people don't care. I don't use it as an excuse, but rather to help educate.
----
This picture was from Christmas 2007. It cracks me up everytime. Jack Jack's got his grrrrr face on, and they're all lovin on their mama <3

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this picture!! It so perfectly captures the four of you.

    ReplyDelete