Welcome to my work in progress. A little rough around the edges, but hopefully will educate as well as provide some relief for those also going through the craziness of daily life with Autism. Hope you enjoy it :o)

Friday, February 20, 2015

When cancer strikes.

When I finally went to the dr in September for a sore on my forehead that wouldn't go away, I didn't think much of it. He did a biopsy, and weirdly enough, it went away. A few days later, however, he called to tell me that it was skin cancer. I was at work, and when I hung up, I immediately broke down. After all, just over a year and a half had passed since I said good bye to my Uncle Craig because of cancer. (No, mine wasn't deadly, but still. No one wants that diagnosis.) 

It was a simple procedure. The dr goes in, slices out a couple of layers, examines it under a microscope while I wait in the waiting room, and if it's still there, goes in again. And so on. Could take anywhere from 2-8 hours. Seriously?? That long to wait for a girl with anxiety? Not okay. 

After the initial cut, the dr only had to go back in once. When I was done, it looked cool!!! 


Everyone said it looked like a bullethole. (Seriously, it was awesome, haha) It was a long cut for him to stitch up, to lessen the scar.


Then he had to bandage it up, which I had to keep on for 24hrs before I could change it. 

It looked GREAT. 


Because it only took a few hours, Jim went into work for the afternoon, and I went to my brother's  house to nap off the anesthetic. THEN, over the course of the next few days, I got a black eye because everything was so close to it. 


The healing scar looked pretty cool though. 


It's been about 3 1/2 months since the surgery, and it looks pretty good. 



So now I have to get checked every six months to make sure there's nothing else. And lesson learned. No more tanning beds, and ALWAYS use sunscreen!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment